What is our best option for reaching Pandemic-struck UK once ban is lifted July 19th (?): by way of using Option Solving?

Faced with the challenge of trying visit family in post-pandemic UK, it was a question of reviewing all reasonable options to seek an optimum solution after July 19th, 2021– assuming the total ban is lifted at that time. This would act as a good spur for Linda to get involved in the decision.

The appropriate question then turned out to be as follows: “What is our best option for reaching Pandemic-struck UK once ban is lifted July 19th(?); considering 1) air prices are likely to skyrocket once ban is lifted, 2) we’ve both been fully vaccinated, 3) Robin desires my presence, and 4) Linda desires stepping-stone for European travel?” It was appropriate for us to stick with only four considerations to reduce the complexity of any eventual decision, when the ultimate decision moment arrives: despite there being other possibilities out there.

I then set about creating two fresh appropriate yin and yang “bookends”,as these would help keep our intuitive minds focused. Bookends such as these are vital for preventing our fertile intuitive minds from wandering and losing concentration. We are mostly unaware of how powerfully valuable but foot-loose our intuition can be unless we can keep it properly focused on such occasions.   

The two most immediate bookends that came to mind were: “Hold-off until things normalize” Could be a long wait + not getting any younger;and “Accept expensive air tickets, quarantine and testing arrangements” Likely beyond budget.  You will note the italicized detractors associated with these least likely options, which therefore put these out of consideration. Even so, these bookends will now again nudge our intuitive thinking into high gear to find more promising options – see ourLatest Worked Example.

It then demanded that we come up with at least five new realistic options, although we could ultimately come up with six after sharing with Linda. We would then be in a position to pursue emotional distancing, which is a form of objective thinking, before making our choice sometime after that …perhaps after 2 hours, later in that day, or first thing the following morning. You can replace our proposed options with any of your own.

While they are all quite interesting, I was now initially particularly drawn to – Option C: After ban lifted – buy best air tickets months ahead, when quarantine, etc, is likely lifted. The pictographseemed to offer the most immediate promise for getting Linda’s input and attention, especially with regard to “other” possibilities. We can then consider pursuing the other options as time moves on.

If you have an example of your own, please share it with this blogger, through the COMMENTS area or contact him at peter@ileadershipsolutions.com .  Thanks Option Solving. (NOTE: Our next posting will be in two week’s time: “What is my best option for keeping book ‘followers’ involved until an initial publisher is secured?” Let’s have your COMMENTS or go to peter@ileadershipsolutions.com to connect with the blogger. Also consider buying the book: “Smart Decisions: Goodbye Problems, Hello Options” through amazon.com)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: