What is my best option to convince publishers to back my book: using Option Solving?

I’m now making further headway on book content and value, so book promotion now comes even more into focus. I’ve made a start on current 200+ contact list with encouraging signs, although need to build upon that with other options. Publishers are interested in the book but they want to see a greater buyer platform.

This meant devising an appropriate option solving question, such as: “What is my best option to convince publishers to back my book; considering 1) am not a natural ‘connector’, 2) will likely need at least 5000 book commitments, 3) find optimum message, and 4) give it enough focus and priority?” I restricted myself to four key considerations that are most likely to influence my optimal decision.  By holding it to four, it reduces the complexity of my decision-making when the moment arrives: despite there being others.

My next task was to create two yin and yang “bookends,”as these will help my intuitive mind to remain focused. Bookends such as these are vital for preventing our fertile intuitive minds from wandering and losing concentration. We are mostly unaware of how powerfully valuable but foot-loose our intuition can be unless we can properly keep it focused.   

These bookends turned out to be: “Let momentum build on its own”way too slow,and “Seek $100K funding to finance sales and promotion,” unlikely possibility. We italicized detractors associated with these least likely options. Even so, they would nudge my intuitive thinking into high gear – see ourLatest Worked Example.

I then challenged myself to produce at least five realistic stretch options and left open the possibility of producing a sixth over the next 24 hours. This would occur prior to any emotional distancing, which is a form of objective thinking, before making my choice sometime after that …perhaps after 2 hours, later in that day, or first thing the following morning. You can replace my proposed options with any of your own. You can note one of my options as: Option B-Pursue Crowd-source and Kickstarter to fund 5000 books- Signe contact.

Now I have produced this pictograph, I will either have to produce another option over the next 24 hours or proceed with the minimum of five. From there I will either put an action initiative together, while things are still fresh in my mind, or pursue yet another ‘Peel the Onion’ exercise so as to flush out a sub-option? This may offer a more straightforward possibility.

If you have an example of your own, please share it with this blogger, through the COMMENTS area or contact him at peter@ileadershipsolutions.com .  Thanks Option Solving. (NOTE: Our next posting will be in two week’s time: “Peel the Onion: What is my best option to convince publishers to back my book?” Let’s have your COMMENTS or go to peter@ileadershipsolutions.com to connect with the blogger. Also consider buying the book: “Smart Decisions: Goodbye Problems, Hello Options” through amazon.com)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: